LandauerAC – Safer air operations
The effective management of aviation safety, both in the air and on the ground, is Nick Landauer’s prime professional concern and interest.
Nick is trying to arrange life such that he spends around 50% of his working time undertaking paid work in the aviation and corporate/life coaching sectors, and 50% undertaking voluntary activities. 2023 was a busy year, and 2024 looks as if it will be more of the same. The transition period for the adoption of EASA Management System requirements into Airworthiness domains, such as Part 21 and Part 145, runs until December 2024 for EASA approval holders, and for a further year for UK organisations. This has created a demand for training at all levels of industry, including for Accountable Managers and Nominated Persons, through other management levels, to hands-on safety professionals working at the sharp end. As well as generic Management System training, there is also widespread interest in specific Safety Management System (SMS) and Compliance Monitoring System (CMS) training, all of which Nick has been delivering, and hopes to continue to deliver, successfully.
What value your safety policy?
Nick comments that “Establishing” a safety policy is one of the EASA/UK Management System requirements – indeed, you also have to “implement” it. It’s always tempting just to copy and paste someone else’s, which says all the right sorts of words. But is that of any safety value? Does it change how people actually do what they do? If not, what’s the point?
A well-drafted safety policy is a great opportunity for the Accountable Manager (AM) to set the tone for how he/she wants their staff to go about their professional lives. In my view, a good safety policy:
- Reads as though the AM has written it personally;
- Starts with “At Xxxx Aviation, we……”;
- Uses phrases like “I expect all our managers and staff to….”.
Then it will be much easier for everyone to understand its relevance to their role and thus how they are expected to go about their work. It will also be easier for managers to reinforce its values and demonstrate how the policy is being implemented. And the AM and senior team will be able to feel more confident that the safety policy really is driving and shaping safety performance, not just ticking a box.
Nick has published some Tips for Classroom Trainers on Linkedin. Tips for Classroom Trainers
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
LandauerAC‘s satisfied clients benefit from Nick’s skills, knowledge and experience as an inspiring trainer, and from the compliance monitoring, regulatory auditing and aviation advisory services LandauerAC provides. Nick has extensive knowledge of the theory and practical application of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), European and UK National legislation, rules, regulations and guidance material, with a particular emphasis on Commercial Air Transport (CAT) and Non-Commercial Complex (NCC) operations.
Working with world class clients, including Baines Simmons Limited and Bureau Veritas Exploitation, LandauerAC continues to use and build upon Nick’s experience of delivering effective, pragmatic and insightful training in international forums, conducting compliance audits and advising on matters related to air operations. Work has included delivering, through LandauerAC’s clients, courses and consultancy missions for multiple UK and European air operators, for the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) in Cologne, National Aviation Authorities in eastern Europe, the Caucasus, the Philippines and Central Asia, and over 90 one-to-one coaching days for new aviation senior managers globally.
Institute of Leadership Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring
Nick has received his IoL 7 (Masters level) Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring from the Institute of Leadership, and has been accepted into the Fellowship (FIoL). While primarily relevant to his coaching practice, (www.LandauerCorporateCoaching.com), the skills and knowledge that he acquired during two years of study and practice with Steph Allen of The Training Spa are also directly applicable to his work with senior managers and leaders in the aviation industry.
Nick’s 36 years at the UK CAA included being an Inspecting Officer (Operations) in which capacity he audited and inspected air operators both nationally and worldwide. Subsequently, he worked extensively in designing and delivering training packages and managed teams of operational support and technical staff responsible for all aspects of Air Operator Certificate and Approval processing. In Europe he worked in close liaison with EASA Air Operations Standardisation teams and, globally, represented UK CAA on IATA IOSA and ISAGO Oversight Committees. In addition, Nick has extensive senior management experience of working on and leading a variety of projects. Nick also designed and then managed UK CAA Flight Operations Department’s internal Quality Assurance system for over 10 years.
Nick has been elected a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (FRAeS) and of the Institute of Leadership (FIoL), and is a Freeman of the City of London. He is a qualified Lead Auditor, an Associate Consultant for Baines Simmons Ltd, an Associate Consultant for TEASAS Ltd and a Qualified Subcontractor for Bureau Veritas Exploitation.
LandauerAC designs and facilitates effective training material concerning:
- Audit and inspection skills and techniques, including supervised On the Job Training (OJT)
- Checklist design and construction
- Interview skills
- Aviation legislation relating to air operations including:
- The Basic Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2018/1139)
- Air Operations (Regulation (EU) 965/2012)
- Other International, European and National regulations
- Accountable Managers’ and Nominated Persons’ coaching
- ICAO and EASA Air Operator Certification and Oversight
- Management systems – compliance and performance
- Compliance monitoring and quality assurance
LandauerAC undertakes auditing in the air operations arena with regard to:
- Compliance Monitoring
- Quality Assurance
- Air Operations (Regulation (EU) 965/2012 and equivalent national operations regulations) compliance
- Management systems
- Regulatory audit preparation for operators
- Regulatory audits
Through association with other reputable consultancies, LandauerAC is also able to arrange auditing and advisory services relating to airworthiness, cabin safety and dangerous goods.
Nick’s depth of knowledge combined with his engaging and entertaining presentational style have resulted in positive feedback from clients and trainees alike.
- “Thank you, Nick, for delivering a very engaging and fun course.” Safety Manager
- “The best training day I have attended in my life.” Compliance Monitoring Manager
- “Overall, Nick is an effective communicator who paced the content well. Highly recommended.” Compliance Monitoring and Safety Manager
- “Thank you very much for such a great training!” Chief Financial Officer
- “Thank you very much for your flexibility and the excellent training – our team benefitted tremendously. We look forward to your next visit”. Director of Flight Ops
- “Thank you for sharing your passion for aviation with us”. Student CASI
- “Great day and I thoroughly enjoyed the insight and your presentation” Nominated Person (Ground Operations)
- “Nick is a real professional; have enjoyed the course.” Compliance Monitoring Manager
“Excellent delivery by an expert in his field, done in a positive and relaxed manner” Nominated Person (Flight Operations)
“As this training was virtual, the fact that it’s a 1 to 1 workshop helped a lot to fully dedicate consultant’s attention to the trainee. I was worried about the language as I’m not a native speaker but Nick made his best to make me feel good and we went through a fruitful exchange from the beginning. His sound knowledge of the aviation industry and particularly of the UK CAA was a plus.” Accountable Manager
“Nick is a very good instructor. He is a subject matter expert and has a good rapport with the trainees. We are all looking forward to his next class with us”. Student inspector
- “Nick’s extensive knowledge and style of presentation is obviously well suited to presenting these subjects to foreign students. His visit was voted a 100% success by the team” CEO / Accountable Manager
- “In a subject that could easily have become boring, Nick’s presentation maintained a great level of interest” Compliance Monitoring Manager
- “Probably the best consultant I have trained under….” Safety Manager
- “A brilliantly delivered day…..” Nominated person delegate
- “Your approach is exactly what we are looking for.” Project manager
- Nick “is very able to keep the attention of the classroom at a very high level.” Student
- “A very competent individual.” Student
- “I was very impressed with Nick’s delivery. His style is captivating and his knowledge of the subject shines through. I believe all the attendees enjoyed the training.” Student
- “We like your attitude.” Audit client
- “Nick is a fantastic, patient teacher.” Student
- “Nick is probably the best training deliverer I have ever met.” Student
Past and present direct clients, on whose behalf projects have been delivered with a large number of their own clients, include:
- Baines Simmons Ltd
- Bureau Veritas Exploitation
- McKechnie Aviation Ltd
- VR Aviation Safety Partnership Ltd
- The Republic of San Marino Aircraft Registry
- AIS Aviation
- The United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
- TEASAS Ltd
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.
LandauerAC is a trading name of Landauer Aviation Consulting Limited.
Landauer Aviation Consulting Limited: Registered office: Chart House, 2 Effingham Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7JN